But when 5 turn out to be 8 that is a different story. Last night was my first session of doing 3x8 instead of 3x5. What a difference, I even had trouble completing my warm up sets and boy am I sore today.

For my work set I still ended up doing sets of 5 but the weight was a lot less than normal. I look forward to seeing my progress over the next couple of weeks.


I was looking for a fight photo of Randy but how cool is that shot.

On a trip to the states in 2006 I sat in on a presentation be Randy Couture. He detailed his work out program getting him ready for that nights title fight against Tim Silvia. His program consisted of five minute blocks, the same as the rounds in the UFC. He stated that he got so used to it when running on a tread mill he could tell when it was five minutes. This is how my body felt last night, I am so conditioned to sets of 5 that I could feel a markable diffence when i pushed pass five even with my warm up sets. The first 5 reps were easy, 6 was ok but seven and eight were hard.

2 comments:

At June 22, 2009 at 9:51 AM Nicholas J. Brown said...

Interesting change up.
Did you do it because you were starting to feel stale / bored? with the 3x5?

 
At June 22, 2009 at 10:15 AM Andrew said...

@Nick

The change in program is to put bulk up a little more. I am focused on loosing some girth. Have made some changes to diet and bigger muscles = more energy consumed at rest.

Depending on how the program goes, I might actually take it out to three months. Its to much like hard work.

 

Post a Comment